z

Young Writers Society



Nothing Sparks the Flame Within, the Flame of interest...

by Chaos Angelfish


I was looking through some of the fanfiction and I have found nothing that really hooks, like that one time a three pronged fishing hook that my ear. Not that I want to feel real pain anything but just metaphorically speaking. How can I review something when "Nothing Sparks the Flame Within, the Flame of Interest" which is mine?

One reason for this is that most characters of other series can be killed easily, its just not conceived by their original authors or the fanfiction writer. Hell, a sniper rifle and a bullet to head can kill most "Heroes/Protagonists", especially those unsuspecting (Basically what a sniper's tactic is to surprise attack from afar). Reality weakness (I.E. Bullet to the Brain) and fictional weaknesses (Werewolves killed by Silver; fore say) make more a realistic story.

Countering those who wish to counter-

If your saying that a proficient sniper can't kill a ware-wolf with a head shot with a M100 Anti-Vehicle Sniper Rifle w/ .50 Cal armor piercing rounds from a mile away; that is way beyond any type of precaution or danger sensing ability; waits till they least suspect it or while the target is distracted. If that werewolf is anything less than seriously injured or near death; then that ware-wolf is a "God Character". God Character's are boring for nothing can harm them and their is really no threat to them for they are invincible.

Understandable Situations-

I can understand if the target of that sniper can evade or negate such things by the following:

Future Sight - Can Peer into the future to avoid danger.

Godlike - If they use it ever second, for they can avoid danger which they cant be harmed.

Neutral - They can only sense danger, but do not know what kind of danger.

Shields/Armor - Defensive equipment to protect.

Godlike - Nothing can take down the shield or pierce through the armor, making them invincible...

Neutral - Shields are drained and don't last forever (unless recharged, but not instantly after being drained); Armor only protects to an extent of attacks and its condition. Or there is some way or something that needs to be done before any attacks can be effective. Good Example is the movie Independence Day, the science guy uploads a virus into the aliens network disabling their shielding. Which then us humans kick ET's evil buddies asses!

Cover/Terrain - Sometimes there is no good sniping position or just no a good vantage point.

God - The character is a God, no arguments here...

Tech Age - Anything beyond this age, there is going to be snipers; before the finding of gun powder then you are safe. But don't forget archers and cross bowmen though!

This list can go on forever, but I think I convey what I am talking about here...

Hell, I could killed Darth Vader with a Sniper rifle, he maybe able to deflect energy based bolts but what about a kinetic based projectile that can't be seen? Didn't think about that did you? Why? It is not conceived because it shows an easy way to kill an antagonist or protagonist.

I know my views maybe a bit fiction crunching, but it just how I perceive things. I also know that such things can destroy stories or make them end prematurely if implemented. But anyone that implements them and conveys them will definitely get my attention.

For those who still say "YOU CAN'T KILL A WAREWOLF WITH A HEAD SHOT FROM A SNIPER RIFLE!" What if I use an RPG-7 Rocket Launcher? How about I run his ass over with a M1-A1 battle tank (Not including the chain gun and cannon)? Unleash a hell storm of rockets along with the pelting fire of a chain gun from an Apache assault copter? Fire afar with artillery, that bombards the area randomly? Fly high above the sky in a Stealth Bomber carpet bombing the area with 200 lb bombs with pinpoint accuracy?

It may sound absurd and the chances of it happening are less than .0001 X -10000000000. But just think... what if? If you learn anything let it be this...

God characters are boring (Unless Character is a god), add more weakness, don't be afraid to harm your character (makes them more realistic and gives bonus tension!) and be more open minded on what the enemy has in their arsenal.

Hell, I shouldn't be giving out some of my writing perception to everyone, but I guess it wouldn't hurt just to give a wafer thin slice of it, though.

--Chaos Angelfish :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

Headshots to the Smileys!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:09 pm
Kale wrote a review...



This is an issue that doesn't affect only fanfiction, but all other types of fiction as well. That said, not everyone is into the action side of things; some people prefer character-driven stories where there isn't much (if any) element of danger. What you find interesting, other people may not, and vice versa. Just something to think about. :)

Now, there were a number of spelling and grammar errors in this essay. In addition, the organization wasn't the best. Formatting, especially using bold or underline for headings, would have helped make the organization clearer. As it stands, this isn't very reader-friendly. Try using an outline before you write and/or if you decide to go back and revise this; essays need logical organization, and outlines are perfect for logically organizing ideas.




User avatar
350 Reviews


Points: 13307
Reviews: 350

Donate
Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:28 am
Jenthura wrote a review...



Hmm, other than showing off your knowledge of guns and weaponry, this post does present one thing I uphold: fanfiction is overrated. The reason for it is pure laziness; laziness from creating your own character and its personality, laziness to put forth an original idea that would require work. Making your own story and character is hard, but worth it (And not copyrighted).
Something about your writing up there, I found several errors (it instead of it is or it's) due probably to the speed of which you wrote the piece. I suggest you edit and re-post this, unless you only wanted an argument or a way to get your idea out there.





the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina